Wednesday, April 11, 2012

French Things...

Well this is just going to be a quick post about some of my observations of, well, french things. This will mostly be about stuff in our house, but I'm sure it's all very different based on the French family.
I'll start off with this chocolate easter chicken that my french mom gave me! In France chocolate eggs, chickens, bunnies, and fish are all popular. Like in the U.S., Monday is a holiday, but students also get 1-2 weeks off school after easter. In Germany, they get both Monday and Friday off for a 4 day weekend.


That's my house on the left! The streets of our neighborhood are lined with these bushes. I think it's somewhat interesting how diverse the plants are (you can kind of see that all the bushes are different). I like this because the mountainsides are all different shades of green from the diversity. At least in Georgia, it's mostly just the same type of pine tree. We're just outside of Grenoble, I guess in the suburbs. Most of the houses in our area are of the same style. 

Here's just some interesting stuff in the kitchen. The milk here is very interesting because they generally come plastic wrapped in packs of 6 one liter cartons like this, but these, for example, won't expire until July 1st! They're never refrigerated until you open them either. I think it's because the milk is pasteurized at a higher temperature which thoroughly kills all the microorganisms. It tastes a little different from American milk, but I'm not sure if it's because of the cows or the pasteurization. Either way it's still good! 

On the left is a french press for coffee and a tea pot where you put tea leaves (especially tisane, or herbal tea) in the middle and then add hot water. I put Nutella in the picture because it's insanely popular in France. There is a sizable section dedicated to Nutella in the grocery store, I should get a picture later. The thing in the far right is some sort of blender/soup cooker that I still don't understand. It seems to do a lot of cool stuff and I've never seen one before, so I put it in the blog! The last thing is just a funny looking french microwave... 

French people are serious about their ironing and this is the biggest iron I've ever seen! It basically holds a lot of water in box and heats it up very quickly. And that cord is long enough to iron across the room! It probably does other stuff, but I'm no ironing expert. This seems to be fairly common in France and it's definitely an extreme ironer's dream. 

A last observation is how many perfume commercials there are, especially on TV. French people might not use as much deodorant, but they probably still smell nice! Something I thought was funny is a type of perfume called "Eau de Toilette". Eau means water in French, so for me this immediately translated to toilet water! It's actually just a less intense perfume and toilette generally means something related to the bathroom. WC is toilet in French, which I suspect comes from the term "water closet".


No comments:

Post a Comment