Monday, July 9, 2012

A Vacation from a Vacation: Part I

        I realize that I’m about a month behind in my blog, but it’s always hard to find a chance to sit down and get any work done! This post now will be all about my two week trip with my parents and aunt from May 31st to June 12th, but I'm posting it in two parts. 

My aunt, parents and I hiking in Cinque Terre, between Monterosso al Mare and Vernazza (behind us)


        My mom was the mastermind behind planning the trip and worked hard to make this possible! It was a great chance my aunt and parents to see some more of Europe, but it was most likely an excuse for my mom to see me again since I’d already been gone for nearly 5 months…

A little preview of Switzerland

                                                                
        Traveling with my family was definitely a change of pace from my solo adventures, but that doesn’t mean that it was any less fun, but rather a different experience. It’s always really nice to spend time with family, but of course I can’t complain about all the great restaurants we went to either! Many of the things we did I could not have done alone as a poor college student, so I’m especially grateful for that!

It would be hard to get here as a poor college student...


        The only downsides to it are: 1. we have to make decisions as a group (which does not always work smoothly with any group of tired, hungry people trying to decide where to eat...) and 2. I never had a much of a chance to meet new people or learn the language and culture, which for me is one of the most important things to do.

        Our journey started off in Switzerland and we met in Lucerne before leaving for Mürren in the Bernese Alps. Then we went to Italy for Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Assisi, and finally Rome. I really loved the way she planned it because we alternated between big cities and small towns in the countryside. Also we stayed in Bed and Breakfasts whenever we had the chance which is much nicer and personal than hotels.

Ricardo, probably the nicest, funniest guy we met the whole trip. He owns a great bed and breakfast in Venice called Corte Campana B&B. He's recommended by Rick Steves, and now by me too


        There wasn’t very much to see in Lucerne, but this also might have been because of our lack of time and my jetlagged family. We learned very quickly just how expensive Switzerland is! Lower end main courses are around 20 francs, close to 25 dollars!!! We ate as little as possible and before running off to Mürren in the mountains. I don’t have any good pictures of it because I forgot to get them all from my mom’s camera.



        It’s extremely difficult to describe just how beautiful Mürren is. It is a tiny town of 450 people on a green hillside completely surround by the most beautiful mountains I could ever imagine. We spent most of our time hiking the various trails while breathing the freshest air and drinking the purest mountain water in Europe!

A photo of Mürren from afar, during one of our hikes. 

I hope I one day return to this paradise

     

        A couple of times we found more unique things to do such as take a lift to the peak of Schilthorn for a quite literally breathtaking view. It was also the place where they based the Bond film “Her Majesty’s Secret Service”. This happened to be the last movie I watched before leaving for Europe, what a coincidence! We had no idea this was where it was before arriving.



        Also did I mention I went paragliding? It was probably the single most spectacular and fun thing I have ever done in my life. If you want to go paragliding, DO IT HERE! The mountains just swallow you in the valley and there is no view better of the area than from freely flying 2,500 feet over the valley. This also just happened by chance because my aunt bet me I wouldn’t do it after meeting some people waiting for their paragliding appointment. So I did :)

Check my facebook for all the paragliding photos and 2 videos

This waterfall is right by Mürren, but I didn't fully realize that I was staying near the edge of a 700m/2,200ft cliff until I flew over it!

        Venice was much more beautiful than I had ever expected. It is HUGE (well much bigger than I had ever thought) and there are literally no roads (cars make places seem smaller); only canals and small alleyways fit only for trekking by foot. You quickly realize that Venice was at one time the most prosperous city in the world after seeing such an unlikely, and seemingly impossible, way to build a city.

Yes, the gondola stereotype is true... they're everywhere!

The Grand Canal!

This was an interesting wine shop recommended by Ricardo. To me it felt almost like a gas station for wine! We're with the owner, who just fills up recycled 1.5 L waterbottles with these "wine pumps"! It was good wine, but extremely cheap! Around 2-3 euro per liter (a normal wine bottle is only .75 L)

A better view of all the wines


        Every building, passageway, and canal is picturesque and we really didn’t do anything but get lost in this historic city. However, it is the most “touristy” place I’ve ever been to, but I’ll forgive that fact just because you can so easily lose yourself in the never-ending labyrinth of canals and alleyways. Also there are gondolas literally everywhere, I didn’t realize just how many there would actually be! This is definitely a city I’d like to go back alone with a nice camera, or a nice woman!

About 1/3 of Venice, taken from the bell tower

Random canals and gondolas

My parents posing in another beautiful, empty nook of the city. 


Well this only covers about half of the trip. There are still 4 beautiful cities to cover in part 2! So check back again in a couple of days! 

1 comment:

  1. Ram-freaking awesome stuff. Muren looks BEAUTIFUL.keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete