Friday, February 17, 2012

Hiking the Bastille almost a week ago

Tomorrow I'm going with my host family to a ski resort called Courchevel, part of les trois vallées which apparently is the largest linked ski area in the world. I'll ski tomorrow and Sunday and I'll be sure to get some good pictures. As for Grenoble, it has been very cold (between -5 and -10 degrees Celsius/14 to 23 degrees Fahrenheit) but it has warmed up the past couple of days. For now I'm just going to talk about the weekend before last when I went to the Bastille and Grenoble's art museum. I did both on Sunday (February 5th) and started off with the museum with my host mom. The museum was free that day and pretty impressive when considering the size of Grenoble. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it (I think admission is usually only 2 euros). Afterwards I met up with some other API students to hike up the Bastille, which is basically an old fortification for the city just on the other side of the river. It is perched on the mountainside and it's about a 40 minute hike, but the view is stunning, well at least for someone who isn't used to mountains/castles. And well, here's some photos. Oh yeah and I forgot to take a picture of the Bastille from the ground... Sorry! I'll get a shot of it next week

 Taken right next to Musée de Grenoble, also right by the river


Just starting the Bastille hike

 There are many different trails to get to the top, but this way had these cool stairs. 
It doesn't look like it here, but the steps were huge.

: )

 These are the biggest mountains. There's one more mountain range West of the city (these mountains are South), but the sun was setting behind them and it was too dark for a good picture



No comments:

Post a Comment